The Montgomery County Council is considering a complete renovation of the 1891 Red Brick Courthouse, the 1931 Grey Courthouse, demolition of the 1960s wing of the Grey Courthouse that fronts South Washington Street, and a new addition to the rear elevation facing Jefferson Street. They are accepting public comment until
Monday, March 2nd at 5 pm
Rockville Mayor Bridget Donnell Newton has requested that the County Council and City of Rockville work together to preserve the character-defining elements, which are vitally important to Rockville and Montgomery County history.
What You Can Do!
Peerless Rockville invites our membership, partners, and interested residents who value the historical integrity of these buildings, to contact their elected representatives on the County Council and tell them that any renovations to the buildings in historic Courthouse Square should preserve the integrity of the exterior of the courthouses, the ceremonial courtrooms, and the historic setting of these buildings.
- the buildings in historic Courthouse Square are an integral part of Rockville’s heritage and character and deeply valued by the Rockville community and Peerless Rockville members
- the 1891 Red Brick Courthouse and 1931 Grey Court House are designated local, State and National Historical Landmarks that together represent the legal system and profound periods of growth in Montgomery County and the City of Rockville
- The buildings have high historical integrity and represent more than 70 years of profound changes in American architectural styles
- County Council members should work closely with the City of Rockville to cooperatively determine the best use of these landmark buildings
- The County Council must seriously consider the financial and environmental wisdom of demolishing an existing structure only to undertake the public expenditure of new construction
Contact the County Council
Comments in Writing will be received at:
Council’s Office of Legislative Information Services, 5th Floor
Council Office Building
100 Maryland Ave
Rockville, MD 20850
Peerless Rockville and Friends of the Red Brick Courthouse raised private and public funds to restore the Red Brick Courthouse Grand Courtroom to its original appearance.
As a tenant of almost 30 years, Peerless Rockville has ensured public access to the Red Brick Courthouse, acting as a resource for Rockville and Montgomery County residents and tourists interested in heritage. We look forward to working with any design team that might propose external alterations to ensure the protection of the historic character of this location.