Update: Confederate Statue

Montgomery County erected this protective barrier on July 31, 2015 to prevent further vandalism

Montgomery County erected this protective barrier on July 31, 2015 to prevent further vandalism

Montgomery County has applied to the City of Rockville HDC for a Certificate of Approval to remove the Confederate Statue from the grounds of the Red Brick Courthouse.

Last week, Executive Director Nancy Pickard represented Peerless Rockville at a stakeholders meeting convened by the Montgomery County Council to discuss the future of the Confederate Statue in Rockville. On July 30th, 2015, Montgomery County Council President George Leventhal released a memorandum on the results of the stakeholders meeting and his recommendation for future steps concerning the statue. Read the memo here and click here to read the summary of the stakeholders meeting.

Peerless Rockville commends the County Council for convening a stakeholder group to consider the issue. We support the recommendation to develop appropriate interpretation to more comprehensively convey the history of Montgomery County during the Civil War and the early part of the 20th century.

The memo states that there will NOT be any public meeting concerning this issue prior to its review before the City of Rockville Historic District Commission on September 17, 2015.

To learn more about the Rockville HDC, click here.
To let them know your thoughts, e-mail HistoricDistrict@rockvillemd.gov

Find below the contact information for Montgomery County Councilmembers and County Executive Isiah Leggett.

County Executive Isiah Leggett
Executive Office Building (EOB)
101 Monroe Street, 2nd Floor
Rockville, MD 20850
Email: ocemail@montgomerycountymd.gov
Phone: (240) 777-2500
TTY: (240) 777-2544
FAX: (240) 777-2517

Montgomery County Council
Stella B. Werner Council Office Building
100 Maryland Avenue
Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: (240) 777-7900
TTY: (240) 777-7914
FAX: (240) 777-7989
Email: county.council@montgomerycountymd.gov

You can also locate your County Council Member (district map here) and contact them directly with your concerns.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.