Peerless Rockville commends the City of Rockville Department of Recreation and Parks for their excellent interpretive exhibit on Wootton’s Mill. The mill operated from 1821 to 1919, and the Veirs family resided over the 107-acre parcel throughout the twentieth century until the City acquired the land. Site visits made to the park in January 2015 determined Wootton’s Mill’s location using maps and topography, photographs, written and oral histories, and secondary resources from historical groups and institutions. The interpretive exhibit was designed to incorporate mill stones, donated to the City by the Veirs family, as the focal point in a setting of a typical mill with Watts Branch Stream as its
backdrop. It also attempts to display the typical craftsmen’s techniques of the time, such as pegging and lapping joinery.