Peerless Rockville applauds the City of Rockville for convening the King Farm Farmstead Task Force, a group of Rockville citizens and organizations such as Rockville Economic Development, Inc., Rockville Chamber of Commerce, Heritage Montgomery, and Peerless Rockville dedicated to determine options for a viable and sustainable use of the historic buildings at King Farm Farmstead Park. Economic Development professionals from the county and the state will round out the Task Force.
King Farm is named after W. Lawson King, who acquired it in 1925. King subsequently purchased three neighboring farms, which he consolidated into Irvington Farm, a successful dairy business of 430-acres. At its peak, Irvington Farm boasted the world’s largest Holstein herd and sold cows from its champion stock internationally. It was also the largest milk producer in the area, much of which was processed by Thompson’s Dairy. The Irvington Farm was designated historic in 2006 and final plans for the development allowed for the protection of approximately 7 acres of farmland including the site of the original dairy farm. This protected group of farm buildings displays the important farming heritage of Rockville and the surrounding community.