The controversial Confederate Veterans monument currently situated on the east lawn of the Red Brick Courthouse will soon be moving to a new home. The monument has been in its present site since 1971 (and was formerly located in the Rockville downtown from 1913).
Ownership of the monument has been transferred to White’s Ferry, Inc., a company that ferries vehicles between White’s Ferry, Montgomery County and the Virginia side of the Potomac River. Ferry operations there date back to 1782.
Montgomery County has contracted with a private consultant to relocate the granite and bronze monument. Peerless has learned that the move from Rockville to private property at White’s Ferry is scheduled for this weekend.